Friday, 13 January 2017

Self soothing

I'm one of those luckily mums whose baby has always been very content and relaxed. For day one he has been in some sort of routine. At 7 months my little man now settles himself off to sleep, with minimal fuss. I say minimal because he has his days where he will cry for half an hour.

If your unfamiliar with self soothing, is it process where you leave your baby to soothe themselves off to sleep. This usually involves a certain amount of tears from both baby and parents. It is also refereed to as sleep training.

This is a subject which is debated to be both good and bad for you baby. I personally don't see any problem with it and see it to be good for a baby. obviously assuming they dont get to worked up in the process.

We brought a video monitor for Cohen which helped a lot. We were able to sit downstairs in the front room and watch him to make sure he was OK. After 3 nights of tears, he had learnt that we weren't going to run up and cuddle him as soon as he cried.

Having a bed time routine is very important with this. We have cues which lets Cohen know that its bedtime soon and it times to go to sleep. We do this by having dinner and a bath at the same time every day. He goes into his cot at night and has his night light and his bed time music on and he relaxes and drifts off to sleep.

If you would like any information of self soothing, please comment below and I will help you out!


3 comments:

  1. I remember having to go through this process with my first baby at around six/seven months. The first one or two nights were difficult but by then we were desperate to help/teach him to settle. By about the third or fourth night the worst was over and my son could settle down at bedtime and fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember having to go through this process with my first baby at around six/seven months. The first one or two nights were difficult but by then we were desperate to help/teach him to settle. By about the third or fourth night the worst was over and my son could settle down at bedtime and fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete