Sunday, 22 January 2017

Guest post: Cranberry Lemon Scones with Lemon Glaze



Hi! I’m Abby!

I’m a wife and homemaker, very small town girl living in South Carolina on the beautiful, salty,

hot coast and marshes that surround our island town. This past May after waiting four and a

half years, I married my best friend. He is the love of my life, my soulmate, protector, provider

and worth more to me than anything in this world. I love my job being a wife and homemaker,

writing novels, reading mystery books, riding beautiful horses and of course – cooking! Making

good food for my man and having him enjoy it is one of my greatest joys. And it’s also an

insanely fun learning process! We’re currently living in a tiny over garage studio apartment, and

all I have to cook on is an electric cook top, crock-pot and a toaster oven. It’s been an

interesting cooking journey, one full of frustrations but one that has also pushed me to be

patient and resourceful. I also have an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ. He is the One

who gives my life purpose and makes every day worth living. I hope you will join me on this

journey, learning to cook and bake, for others as well as ourselves!

I am SO excited to be doing my first guest blog post! Thank you for reading! Today I have a

lovely scone recipe for you – it is SO easy and absolutely delicious, especially with a cup of hot

Earl Grey tea or coffee! This was my first time making scones – and they turned out amazing.

Originally the recipe calls for blueberries rather than cranberries, but it was December when I

made these and there were tons of cranberries in the grocery store, so I decided to give them a

try instead. If you’ve ever dared to try a fresh cranberry, they can be quite quite sour – but when

they’re cooked they turn juicy and sweet with just a hint of tartness. I hope you enjoy this recipe

as much as we did!

I also want to share with you one of my biggest reasons for starting this blog. Every year in the

US 130,000 horses are sold and sent to a slaughter house in Canada, Mexico, and other foreign

countries. These beautiful creatures range from outgrown childhood jumping ponies to failed ex

racehorses – beautiful, well bred, pure Thoroughbreds that make up 10,000 of that 130,000 that

are slaughtered every year. I have a passion to save these precious horses who did nothing to

deserves such a horribly inhumane and immoral fate. My goal is to build up this blog so that I

can then use the proceeds toward reaching my dream of saving my first horse from slaughter.

Every time you hit share or tell someone about my blog, YOU my friend are helping me reach

that goal. Thank you for that – you are helping me achieve a lifelong goal and dream, not to

mention save an innocent animal’s life. I currently follow several groups on Facebook, whose

owners post photos of the horses they buy at auction and post a bail number and dollar amount

that will save the horse’s life before it goes to slaughter by a certain date. Seeing these horses

is so heartbreakingly and terribly real. If you would like to see these for yourself, here are a few

links for you to check out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/980728765286259/

https://www.facebook.com/Carolina-Feedlots- 207366349595887/?fref=ts

Saving just one of these horses’ lives wouldn’t change the world, but it would certainly change

the world for that one horse. And that is my goal. With your support, you can be a part of saving

a them too.

Now for that recipe!! 






Cranberry Lemon Scones with Lemon Glaze

Makes 8 scones

Ingredients:

 Zest of one lemon

 1 egg

 2 tablespoons of lemon juice

 ½ cup of powdered sugar

 6 tablespoons of sugar

 2 cups of all purpose flour

 2 and ½ teaspoons of baking powder

 ½ teaspoon of salt

 1 teaspoon of vanilla

 ½ cup of very cold butter

 ½ cup of heavy cream

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees

2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper

3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest – grate

your butter into this mixture and combine until crumbly, then set aside

4. In a small bowl, whisk cream, egg and vanilla together, then drizzle into your flour

mixture

5. Mix with a spatula until everything appears moist

6. Add your cranberries, form into a ball and roll out onto a floured surface until circle is

about half an inch thick

7. Cut into 8 wedges with a long sharp knife

8. Place about one inch apart on baking sheet, bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown

9. While the scones are baking, place lemon juice and powdered sugar in a bowl and whisk

until smooth

10. When scones are done, drizzle with lemon glaze and enjoy!








Thank you so much for reading! I hope you will enjoy the recipe and that your heart is stirred by

the story of these beautiful horses. I would love it if you would follow my blog for more yummy,

healthy, easy and delicious recipes, as well as updates on my journey to save my first slaughter

horse.

You can find me on my website as well as Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram:

http://www.asouthernwifecooks.com/

https://www.pinterest.com/asouthernwifeco/

https://www.facebook.com/asouthernwifecooks/?fref=ts

https://www.instagram.com/asouthernwifecooks/

No comments:

Post a Comment